How to properly uninstall Intel PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth

Today I installed by mistake the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth® on my laptop.

When I tried to uninstall it,  I received an error and could not remove the software.

So, a battle begins: Me vs Uninstaller… The uninstaller was clearly winning, but not for long.

I did some searches at Google and saw several people with the same problem, however, no acceptable solution.

So, based on my past knowledge, I had an idea and I pushed it forward.

First of all, I downloaded a tool called ORCA (this tool allows you to edit MSI files).

orca2

As you can see, there are two rows in the picture above with the following actions: UnregisterOPP and RollbackUnregisterOPP.

You may ask why these lines are relevant. Well, if you look in Event Viewer, you will see a application error raised by the uninstaller.

Product: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth(R) Technology — Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action: UnregisterOPP, location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Bluetooth\, command: “C:\Windows\System32\fsquirt.exe” -Register

The uninstaller tries to execute that command and fails because the file doesn’t exist.

intel_proset_bluetooth_error

From what I could understand, this file fsquirt.exe was used in Windows XP to provide Bluetooth support and was removed in newer versions of Windows.

For this reason, I decided to create an executable application that returns code 0 (success) in his main function.

After building it, I just put the file fsquirt.exe in the folder C:\Windows\System32\ and tried to run the uninstaller again.

This time I saw a message saying the uninstall was completed successfully.

So all files, registry changes and services was properly removed, leaving no trace behind.

If you want, you can use the same file that I made for this task.

You can delete fsquirt.exe from your System32 folder after the uninstall is complete.

Download:

PS: It’s a zip file, you need to extract it on system32.

11 Comments

1. Thaddeus

Success! Your fquirt.exe solved my problem, even though it wasn’t the fquirt.exe that was giving me issues. For me, Intel was complaining about “BTHSSecurityMgr.exe” and some other exe. I simply made two copies of “fsquirt.exe” in “C:\program files\Intel\BluetoothHS\” then renamed them appropriately.

I almost can’t believe it! Thanks a million.

1. navossoc (Post author)

Glad to help 😉

2. Ludo

Hi,

I have the same problem but it’s “libRun” in C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Bluetooth

I try to replace it with your “fsquirt” rename in libRun, but after that, i always had the same problem.

3. Tony Anderson

Please help, I cant even find the folder C:\program files\Intel\BluetoothHS\ and BTHSSecurityMgr.exe and yet when I try to install new driver they still force me to uninstall it

1. navossoc (Post author)

Sorry mate for the late reply.

Did you tried the folder?
      C:\program files (x86)\Intel\Bluetooth

Maybe you can send me the link of the driver you are trying to install, I can take a look along with the error message.

Good luck 😉

4. Carlos A

If I had money, I would give it to you right now. Your solution worked awesomely tidy.
    In my case, there was 2 different exe files that the setup looked for, but I replaced them with the one you provided and that was it

1. navossoc (Post author)

Good to know it still works.
      Remember me if you get some, I’ll be here 😛

5. Arsan Triabdillah

Where is the folder location of intel bluetooth.msi

1. navossoc (Post author)

The msi file was located together with the installer that I downloaded.
      If I remember correctly, the installer was self-extracting, so I get it from a temp folder.

Sorry for the late reply.

6. KompoTimo

This fix didn’t work for me. After hours of fighting i tried the following and it worked.

1. Delete everything from the Bluetooth in C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel ( do not delete the folder itself)

2. Find a computer that has this same Intel PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth installed.

3. Go to the same Bluetooth folder and copy everything inside.

4. Paste all the files to your empty Bluetooth folder

5. Go to Program and Features and find Intel program and run the “FIX” option

6. Restart your computer and go to Program and Features and find Intel program and run the “UNNINSTALL” option

This worked for me.

1. navossoc (Post author)

Probably this tip is outdated…
      I think Intel did a lot of changes on his installers since then.

Glad you managed to fix it and shared the solution here.